cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router ignoring ACL applied to external interface

dunnoyet42
Level 1
Level 1

I have a router with an ACL configured on the external interface, I restrict access so only specific hosts can connect to it, there is a deny statement at the end of the ACL which it never seems to reach. I am able to ssh to the router from any host even though the ACL denies access, I have an identical router set up in the same wat which seems to be working fine. config below:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

description Outside Interface

ip address A.B.C.D 255.255.254.0

ip access-group CSM_FW_ACL_GigabitEthernet0/0 in

no ip redirects

no ip unreachables

no ip proxy-arp

ip virtual-reassembly in

duplex auto

speed auto

!

Extended IP access list CSM_FW_ACL_GigabitEthernet0/0

11 permit icmp any any echo-reply

21 permit icmp any any time-exceeded (71 matches)

31 permit icmp any any unreachable (80 matches)

41 permit ip host x.147.110.244 any

51 permit ip host x.147.110.245 any (3443 matches)

61 permit ip host x.169.152.249 any (114 matches)

71 permit ip host x.169.152.251 any

81 permit ip host x.169.153.86 any

91 permit ip host x.169.152.116 any

101 permit ip host x.147.110.17 any

111 permit ip host x.196.60.102 any

121 permit ip host x.196.60.50 any

131 permit ip host x.97.169.18 any

141 permit udp any any eq bootps

151 permit udp any any eq bootpc

161 permit gre any any

171 permit esp any any (47057911 matches)

181 permit udp any any eq isakmp (15751 matches)

182 permit object-group udp-4500 any any (12210 matches)

183 permit object-group udp-848 any any

211 permit udp object-group ext-hst-140.142.16.34 any eq ntp

221 permit udp object-group ext-hst-129.6.15.29 any eq ntp

231 permit udp object-group ext-hst-198.123.30.132 any eq ntp

241 permit icmp any any echo

251 permit tcp any any established

252 permit object-group HSRP any object-group hst-int-224.0.0.2

271 deny ip any any log-input

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I see that there are multiple object groups configured and wonder about the possibility that some object group has a more broad permit than the names suggest.

Perhaps one way to get some insight into the issue would be to issue the show access list command, note all the counters. Then do the SSH from an outside host. Then do show access list again and look for statements where the counter has increased.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

dfeurt1969
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ian,
Check the vty configuration for an access class statement. The ACL controls traffic through the router, not traffic connecting to the router on a vty line.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

David

You raise an interesting point that for SSH access to be successful it must be permitted by the access-class on the vty - if an access-class is configured. But you are a bit off the mark in saying that ACL controls traffic through the router, not traffic connecting to the router. Traffic to the router must be permitted by the interface inbound ACL as well as by the access-class. If the SSH request is really coming through the interface Gig0/0 then the interface ACL must permit it or else the SSH request would fail.

So perhaps there are several possibilities to check on. As I suggested in my previous response, I wonder if there is some statement which permits more traffic than its name suggests. And the possibility that the SSH request is not getting to the router through interface Gig0/0.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

There is no access list specified on the vty lines, access to or through the router is controlled by the access-list and logon access is controlled through AAA.

the two object groups in the ACL are for services only, however hits seem to stop at line 182. I have an identical router but sifferent model with the same config which works fine.

!

object-group service udp-4500

udp eq non500-isakmp

!

object-group service udp-848

udp eq 848

!

I am going to upgrade the IOS tomorrow evening and see if that resolves the issue.

Current IOS:

Cisco IOS Software, C3900e Software (C3900e-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.1(3)T1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Rejohn Cuares
Level 4
Level 4

Can you remove this line

251 permit tcp any any established

and retest.

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Hi,

if this line is removed then all inside to outside TCP sessions won't work as return traffic will be blocked by the explicit deny all at the end.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card