Views
Helpful
Replies

same security level rules

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I came across some interface on our firewall with same security level & also ACE corresponding to each of these interfaces.

I also found that "same security level command" has been enabled on the firewall.

Question:

If 2 interfaces with same level say 50 need to pass traffic between each other, do they still require rules with above command enabled?

If i remove the rules and test the traffic , would it allow traffic between these interfaces based on above command?

Please suggest.Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Patrick0711
Level 3
Level 3

Without the command enabled, traffic WILL NOT pass between two segments with identical security levels even if access-lists are configured.

With the command enabled, traffic WILL pass between the segments but must be permitted via an access-list.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Patrick0711
Level 3
Level 3

If the interfaces are configured with identical security levels, you have the "same-security-traffic permit inter-interface" command enabled, and you are running 7.2 or later code, you'll need to have specific rules to pass traffic in each direction between the segments.

that means even with this command, rules still have to be there.

Then what purpose does this command serve?

Thanks.

Patrick0711
Level 3
Level 3

Without the command enabled, traffic WILL NOT pass between two segments with identical security levels even if access-lists are configured.

With the command enabled, traffic WILL pass between the segments but must be permitted via an access-list.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card