Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

SDM connection lost when applying firewall rules

After adding new firewall rules on a Cisco 1801 and hitting 'Apply settings', the progress window will scroll for a short period before a dialog is displayed that reads:

"Connection lost.

SDM lost the connection to your router because of a communication error. SDM will shut down when you click the OK button.

Re-launch SDM to continue working. Enter the same URL you used to re-start SDM."

Upon re-starting SDM, the rules have not been applied. The behaviour is consistent. I am using SDM 2.5 and have tried SDM 2.4.x and multiple versions of the Java VM.

Any ideas why I am unable to apply the firewall settings?

Your help would be most appreciated.

C.

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: SDM connection lost when applying firewall rules

The router that you are configuring must be using a Cisco IOS image that supports the Firewall feature set in order for you to be able to use Cisco Router and Security Device Manager (Cisco SDM) to configure a firewall on the router.

Refer the following url for more info on settinf firewall using SDM:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/cisco_router_and_security_device_manager/25/software/user/guide/Fwall.html

Re: SDM connection lost when applying firewall rules

Thanks smahbub,

In the past I have been able to apply the firewall settings without incident.

I think it might be relevant that when I click 'apply settings' the count of commands increases by approximately 100 every time. It started to error after the number of commands exceeded around 2500.

I thought that the included 32MB CF card might be too small so I upgraded to a 512MB but that didn't seem to make any difference.

C.

Views
Helpful
Replies