cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Security scan failure

qbakies11
Level 1
Level 1

I passed a PCI security scan from our vendor a couple weeks ago but this morning I got an email that we are now failing. the Failure is listed as:

"It was possible to make the remote server crash using the 'nestea' attack. An attacker may use this flaw to shut down this server, thus preventing your network from working properly Solution: contact your operating system vendor for a patch. Risk Factor: High CVE : CVE-1999-0257 BID : 7219 Other references : OSVDB:5729"

From the reading I have been doing 'nestea' affects Linux boxes and I don't have any on my network. Also the port protocol is listed as UDP and I only have one server that allows UDP traffic through a static mapping and it is a Windows server. Could the scan be referring to the firewall itself? I have an ASA5510 running Software Version 8.0(3).

Has anyone seen tihs issue or have any ideas? We are listed as failing compliance until I can correct this but I don't know where the problem is.

2 Replies 2

eddie.mitchell
Level 3
Level 3

I don't believe I've seen an advisory for Cisco ASA related to this type of attack.

Have you discussed this issue with your ASV who performed the scan?

At this point, I think you definitely need more details regarding which system/device on your network is supposedly affected, and what criteria the security scanner used to determine that your system is vulnerable.

Interestingly enough, My ASA5520 failed a PCI scan failure this morning as well but it was due to X.509 Certificate MD5 Signature Collision Vulnerability.

Cisco released a response:

Cisco Security Response: MD5 Hashes May Allow for Certificate Spoofing

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/products_security_response09186a0080a5d24a.html

Cisco provided a fix for the IOS vulnerability but not for the Appliance

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: