cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Seeing private IPs on outside of Cisco ASA

raun.williams
Level 3
Level 3

We're working with a Cisco ASA 5520 with older 8.2 code and in doing a sniff, I'm seeing some private IP's coming through the ASA and trying to get out.  Some of them to public IP's and some to private IP's such as 10.10.10.10.   As the ASA is setup with NAT and working, i would have thought if it was a simple access list issue, I wouldn't see the private ip of the internal host?  What could be cause it not to show up as the global ip or nat?  In fact, netbios was shown on the outside as well so you could see the device's name.  It couldn't get anywhere, but you could still see it. Any ideas?

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A NAT exemption would cause such an issue. There are other ways but that's the most likely one. 

The easiest and most accurate way to see why the packets are going through is to run packet-tracer to see if/how the ASA should be passing the traffic.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card