Views
Helpful
Replies

Single ASA with dual down-links

Namal Suranga
Level 1
Level 1

basic diagram.jpg

I have to connect an ASA with 2 core switches in network as above shows. so i need to configure one interface as an active and other one is backup.

core switches are configured with HSRP. During any failure with primary link(1000M)  need to LAN traffic passthrough backup link (100M). Please some one help me to reach this. I can't configure any VLAN interface in ASA , it doesn't allow.....

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I think the redundant interfaces should also work when connected to two different switches:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/interface_start.html#wp1329357

Edit: I just see that your interfaces have different speeds. Not sure if that works as both member-interfaces of the redundant interface have to be of the same physical type.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can't configure a single ASA to 2 core switches because ASA is like router where interfaces are routed interface. You can configure 2 ASA with each ASA connects to each core switch. But not a single ASA to 2 core switches.

Thank you very much.

I think the redundant interfaces should also work when connected to two different switches:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/interface_start.html#wp1329357

Edit: I just see that your interfaces have different speeds. Not sure if that works as both member-interfaces of the redundant interface have to be of the same physical type.

Karsten is right, you can configure redundant interfaces. I completely have forgotten about this option.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card