Helpful
Replies

Solid amber status light on ASA 5505

jonas_diehl
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Problem with a ASA 5505

when i power on the ASA  the Power LED change to green and the Status light to solid amber.

There is no Console output or anything else.

Is this a DRAM or Flash Problem?

What can i do ?

thanks a lot!

17 Replies 17

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Seems like faulty ASA.

yes but the ASA has no warrenty or smart net any more so is there a way to fix it ?

like change DRAM or Flash or anything else?

Unfortunately no. Either get a brand new one, or place the ASA in smartnet contract for an RMA.

Its a problem with the ASA reading the flash. Remove the battery and re-seat the RAM

Hi Jennifer, would rebooting the firewall fix this problem? the ASA 5505 does not have a physical power switch so would you advise to unplug the power cable and re-plugging it back in to fix this issue?

nelsonk
Level 1
Level 1

Jonas,

I have the same problem, I have replaced the RAM in the unit with some from another working ASA and now it will boot up.

I have read several posts with the same result.  It looks like RAM might be and issue.

Hi,

i have change the RAM after your Post with a new one

and the ASA Boots UP

but only one times.

After that never agin :-(

It looks like a RAM problem but in my case the RAM sockel is also brocken or anything else.

Thanks for your post.

Hi there,

i had this issue as well, I pulled the RAM from a different ASA 5505 that I had with me and put it into the faulty ASA 5505 and it booted up. the config was fine and it is working great now.

RAM was the issue for me

thanks for the advice.

Jason Yoder
Level 1
Level 1

Had the same problem, and this fixed it for me.  If i plug the power supply into the ASA then plug the power supply into the wall, i get the amber status light and green lights flashing failure.  However if I plug the PSU into the wall first, then wait a few minutes and plug the tiny little adapter(Fail on the adapter design Cisco) into the ASA 5505, ta-da it works!   It seems like the PSU needs to build up the power before being plugged into the ASA.  I don't know for sure, but this works for me.   I never wanted to plug in the tiny adapter first because i was afraid of it arcing in the adapter and that causeing problems, but this method works for me, hope it helps.

My problem exactly.

I purchased an after market PSU from ebay. I guess you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the tip I am now back in my ASA 5505.

Thank you for this post Jason. Even though it was from way back, it looks to have solved our situation that arose this morning. FWIW: I have also added this to my One Note Page of Field Expediency actions. 

Hopefully it keep working till we get our replacement out there tomorrow.

Thanks! 

Charles Morris

ROBERT T
Level 4
Level 4

I have ran into this problem twice in the last couple of months. I shipped a pair of ASA 5540's to a remote data center. When I got there, one worked fine, the other had the amber status light and no console out put. TAC had me RMA it. Last week I shipped a pair of ASA 5510's to the same remote data center, the same thing happened. Each time it was the standby unit. They worked at my desk, but not after it was shipped to the remote data center.

branhams
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same problem after a power surge and replaced the RAM with a 512 MB DIMM of PC2700. It's been running after numerous reloads and powering off.

Thanks for the post,

I had the EXACT same issue - replaced RAM, worked fine!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: