Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Spare Interface Card - "ASA-IC-6GE-CU-A" Price Too High

Dear Team,

One of our client is asking for a Business Justification for the following query:

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

The ASA5512-X SSD Firewall's List Price is around USD4595, where as a Spare Interface Card "ASA-IC-6GE-CU-A=" is around USD 5000. What is the reason for this high price?

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I am unable to give a proper business justification for this issue.

Can anyone of you advise me on the above mentioned concern.

Regards,

Farhan.

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Yes, it's an expensive card.

Yes, it's an expensive card. Why Cisco sets the pricing for it as they have is not something anyone on the support community public forum will be able to tell you.

From a technical perspective, it does double the available physical ports on a 5512-X. Most configurations should be able to get by with the 6 ports included in the base appliance.

VIP Purple

In addition to what Marvin

In addition to what Marvin said: Remember that you can extend the number of firewall-interfaces with the use of VLans and an attached L2-Switch. Correctly configured, this scenario is not much less secure then a firewall with more physical interfaces. I often use the following port-layout:

0 outside-Switch with VLANs
1 public-DMZ-Switch with VLANs
2 internal-DMZ-Switch with VLANs
3 inside
4 FO
5 FO

--
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor: http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni
Views
Helpful
Replies