Views
Helpful
Replies

SSH and show run not working in ASA

Christian Jorge
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon gentlemen

Suddenly I could not connect to an ASA 8.2.1 firewall by SSH anymore. When we tried, connection closed in the same time. No changes has being performed.

We could configure by ASDM telnet access, working perfectly.

Other issue, we could not perform "show run" or "more system:run". It seems like configuration is blocked. "Show start" works perfectly.

sh run
ERROR: Command Ignored, Configuration in progress...

Error reading system:running-config (Configuration temporarily locked)

"running-config" file is strange. Zero Bytes and date related to 1970. There's space in disk and memory and CPU not high.

Firewall has no failover configuration and no another session in "show ssh sessions" or "show asdm sessions"

Anyone has an idea what's up and how to solve it?

Regards

Christian

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You could be hitting this bug: https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCtg89906

Besides upgrading, the workaround is to try "fsck flash" from console. (fsck is file system check)

Thank you Marvin

Unfortunatelly, firewall is located in another country.

Can I try this by telnet session or is it just possible by console?

Firewall would be upgraded to newer version, but how could I perform this without save config correctly (or in a trusty way)?

Regards

Christian

You could try a backup from ASDM.

You should also be able to run the fsck command from telnet (or by using the ASDM command line tool).

jdcarpenter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Christian,

I've recently encountered a similar situation.  Did you find any resolution to this?

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card