cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ssh configuration pix 535

Bruce Summers
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pix 535 that has been configured to allow SSH, i can get to it remotely, and get prompted for a password.

I assumed this was the default either pix or cisco, but neither appear to be working...

Am I missing another default password somewhere?

I'd like to set it up to prompt for a username/password, but can find no configuration to turn this on (such as a vty session config like on a switch).

any thoughts would be appreciated...

Bruce

6 Replies 6

bthompson001
Level 1
Level 1

Did you try

aaa authentication ssh console LOCAL

That should prompt you for Uname and PW.

I haven't tried that...I would like to see if I can determine this default p/w issue..

I can console into the pix, and it takes me straight into user mode. Enable mode doesn't have a p/w set...so, I'm able to confiugre whatever I need (so far)...

I don't want to lock myself out of this

I haven't tried that...I would like to see if I can determine this default p/w issue..

I can console into the pix, and it takes me straight into user mode. Enable mode doesn't have a p/w set...so, I'm able to confiugre whatever I need (so far)...

I don't want to lock myself out of this

The default username/password for the Pix is

username - pix

password - cisco

you won't lock yourself out. no worries there.

what prompt are you seeing when you console in?

pix>

or

ciscopix>

The aaa local worked...

I set a local user account, turned it on....it doesn't prompt for the username, but the password definately is the one I set...

What is that prompt that I was getting?? I thought it shoukd have been the default, but that did not work at all...

Let me ask you another question...

What I have setup, is an ssh capability from one of my aggregation switches to this pix.

So, I setup an L3 interface (between the switch and the Pix), and am using the switch to jump into the pix...

However, once I get into user mode on the pix, I attempt to access exec mode, and it is hung at the user mode prompt. No ability to run any command, let alone the enable command.

If I go to the switch that I'm using to jump from, plug into the console, it works fine...I can ssh to the Pix, accesses user mode, enter enable, and takes me right into exec mode...

Bruce Summers

Data Center O&M

Network Engineering Services

Department of Homeland Security | DC-1

9325 Cypress Loop Rd | Stennis Space Center, MS 39529

Office: 228.813.4838 | Mobile: 202.502.7628 | EMOC: 866.972.EMOC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card