Helpful
Replies

Transfer config from from one ASA to another

Anatoly Fanrus
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

can you help me,

What is the best way to transfer config from ASA (5520 )8.4 to ASA (5512) 9.0?

Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

Azubuike Obiora
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Fanrus!

If I don't have a network monitoring software that can pull configs and configure devices.... I typically use tftp server!

backup with it and upload with it also!

that helps to get every single detail of your configuration into the new ASA.

I don't forsee you having problems with the software in terms of syntax, it should take it just good. Since you use 8.4 in your 5520 and ver 9.0 in 5512 ASA.

Please rate if it helps you out.

Thanks

Teddy

Depending on the size of your configuration, it might not be worth the time setting up a TFTP server.  Of course if your configuration is massive then it might be worth it.

issuing a show run and then copying the output to notepad, and then copy it into the 9.0 ASA.  There aren't any major changes between 8.4 and 9.0 so you will be ok just copying the config over.

--
Please remember to rate and select a correct answer

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

I can agree with that, if the configuration is small.

If it's larger, one issue with that suggestion is that you leave yourself susceptible to connection interrupts while copying the configuration to the new firewall. If there's an interruption, your ASA won't have its full configuration and could give you problems. It's a pretty rare occurence but I've seen it happen.

Something better (in my opinion) than TFTP would be just using HTTPS via ASDM, as it's less of a hassle generally.

1. copy the running-config to a file on local flash in the old ASA "copy run flash:/config.txt"

2. grab the configuration file via HTTPS in ASDM (file browser)

3. upload the new file to the new ASA via HTTPS/ASDM. You'll need to configure basic connectivity for this of course.

4. in CLI on the new ASA, copy the file to the running-config then save to NVRAM "copy flash:/config.txt run"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card