cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Transparent firewall on an 871

saintjon856
Level 1
Level 1

I have a frame connection to a class C network and want to segregate the traffic into four categories to be plugged into fa0 through fa3. I assigned an IP to fa4 and put vlan1 in switchport access mode with no ip but that does not allow firewalling unless I assign an ip to one more interface.

Is it possible to set an 871 between the edge router and the network without changing any net configs in the class C and still be able to firewall between the edge and the three interfaces?

3 Replies 3

didyap
Level 6
Level 6

Yes, you can configure an 871 as a transparent firewall. You will need to:

"Configure a Bridge Group (required)

"Configure Inspection and ACLs (required)

"Forward DHCP Traffic (optional)

"Monitor Transparent Firewall Events (optional)

Following link may help you

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/secure/configuration/guide/h_trans.html

adding the ip to the bridge group and specifying the route was what I was missing, thank you for pointing me to the doc, it was exactly what I needed.

But one more question.

If you wanted to utilize the sdm to configure firewall rules, you are required to add a second ip address. the two addresses are not allowed to overlap yet both must be on the same subnet to pick up the traffic?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card