cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

transport output telnet and FWSM

Bruce Summers
Level 1
Level 1

Can anybody point me to a document that outlines the telnet session is used between the switch and the FWSM to "session" into the module?

thanks.

bruce

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bruce

Not sure what you are asking for. Do you mean the syntax of the command or how it works ?

Jon

hi jon,

well, honestly, I've got one of our security guys asking us why we dont use SSH to session into the FWSM...I recall reading somewhere that telnet is the transport output to session into the modules on a 6500 catalyst...and I dont see anywhere that ssh can be configured to allow you to use it to session into the modules...

So, I'm trying to relocate that bit of information so i can refer to it when I answer the question...but, i have not been able to find it and for the life of me, i dont recall where i read that...

bruce

bruce.summers wrote:

hi jon,

well, honestly, I've got one of our security guys asking us why we dont use SSH to session into the FWSM...I recall reading somewhere that telnet is the transport output to session into the modules on a 6500 catalyst...and I dont see anywhere that ssh can be configured to allow you to use it to session into the modules...

So, I'm trying to relocate that bit of information so i can refer to it when I answer the question...but, i have not been able to find it and for the life of me, i dont recall where i read that...

bruce

Bruce

Not sure i have seen that documentation, i'll have a look around.

What i would say though is that even if it was a form of telnet it is not the security issue that telnetting across the network is. For example if you had ssh access to the 6500 switch and then used session to connect to the FWSM there would be no cleartext password to read on the LAN. I think the reasoning for not having ssh available is that you need to have access to the 6500 itself to be able to session to any of the modules and access to the 6500 should be controlled.

Jon

Agreed,

Was just hoping to have a document to refer them to...I'm still looking, but cant seem to locate it anywhere...AND I remember when I read it, it was like a light bulb came on, AH HA!!!

Thanks for the reply and input...

bruce

sorry, i said a whole bunch and never answered your direct question.

I suppose, I'm looking for how the session command works...how it uses telnet to session into the module...

Bruce

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card