Two outside interface

Mero Cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have got the cisco ASA 5520 with the following ip address:

Example purpose only:

=======================

Outside5: 8.8.8.0/24 (connected to ISP1)

interface5: 10.10.0.0/16 (Connected to LAN)

static (interface5,outside5) 8.8.8.8 10.10.10.10 netmask 255.255.255.255

I have got the above scenario and working well on the live environment.

Now I am planning to add another ISP as follows:

Outside10: 7.7.7.0/24 (Connected to ISP2)

Upto this their will be no any trouble.

But will the following statement works ? If it does work how will it route ?

static (interface5,outside10) 7.7.7.7 10.10.10.10 netmask 255.255.255.255

Regards,

Mero

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

To my understanding the inbound connections will work from both ISPs to this hosts and connections from each ISP will have their return traffic forwarded according to the existing XLATE on the firewall.

However when the actual server forms a connection outbound it will only use the ISP which holds the current active default route.

- Jouni

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It will probably work for the incoming/inbound connections towards the IP address 7.7.7.7. Connection will come through the ISP2 and return traffic will flow through ISP2 also.

I think however that the host 10.10.10.10 will only form outbound connections through ISP1 if its holding the default route.

- Jouni

Hi,

Will the inbound traffic come from isp1 also.

Actually 10.10.10.10 is the public web server and I want to maintain isp fail over. Will this concept work ? Both public ip will be registered as dns.

Regards

Hi,

To my understanding the inbound connections will work from both ISPs to this hosts and connections from each ISP will have their return traffic forwarded according to the existing XLATE on the firewall.

However when the actual server forms a connection outbound it will only use the ISP which holds the current active default route.

- Jouni

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card