cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC520 Behind ASA 5505 w/VPN to RVS4000

Jesse Shumaker
Level 1
Level 1

First Let me show you the physical setup of my network.

UC520 ------ ASA5505 ------ INTERNET -------- RVS4000 -------- SPA504 IP phones

Is there a way to get the two SPA504 IP phones from inside the RVS4000 remote office to tie into the UC520 through a VPN tunnel? So that they would appear as two other extensions on the phones.

thanks

jesse

7 Replies 7

Hi,

If you have a VPN tunnel between the ASA and RVS4000 for example, you can do that.

Both networks will seem an extension of each other and the phones can communicate locally.

Federico.

normally the uc520's are made for firewalls though so how is this configured to act just internally and not in firewall mode?

The UC520 can act as a firewall while it permits the communication between phones.

The VPN can even terminate no the UC520 itself, but if you have the ASA you can use it for VPN.

The idea is that the tunnel will be between the ASA and the RVS4000 so the LAN behind both devices will talk to each other transparently.

From the UC520 perspective, the remote phone has its real IP... so it should allow the communication from that IP to the local phone.

Federico.

So do these  SPA504 ip phones have the option to point to the UC520 and talk with it via an IP address from a different subnet? Is it in their configuration?

are you saying that I should get a public static IP for the uc520 and program this on the wan side so that the spa504g phones talk to the uc520 over the internet without going through the asa5505?

No, I'm not saying they should have a static IP.

What IPs do the phones have right now? They should communicate through the tunnel with their real IPs.

Who assigned IPs to the phones? The phones should have an IP/mask/gateway

Federico.

They are not currently assigned. they will take DHCP from the RVS4000 but i'm wondering where I can go in the configuration to tell them to connect to the UC520

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card