cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to putty to ASA5505

saidfrh18
Level 1
Level 1

I am accessing my lab ASA5505 first time in 6 months. I am unable to use console cable+Putty, nor Terra Term, Win 7 to access the 5505. The parameters are correct; COM1 has been verified through Device manager. Using putty generates: "

unable to open connection to com1 Unable to open serial port".  However I am able to use Putty, with same settings to access a Cisco 2500 series router. I must have added a security control on the ASA.  Kindly advise.

Thanks.

Said

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

what's the LED light on the Power and Status?

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

what's the LED light on the Power and Status?

Power, Status and Active lights are all green.

I have access to the IOS.  It took a long time to get access!

I am doing a password recovery-unplugged the device and reconnected. The power and Status lights are green only and the IOS device does not respond from Terra Term.

The only times I have experience this kind of problem was when the COM port on my computer didn't close properly when I disconnected my session.  Have you tried restarting you PC and the ASA (if possible)?

You say that you can not connect when using cable, does that mean you tried to SSH to the device without success? could possibly be that the device is not configured to accept SSH sessions?

--
Please remember to rate and select a correct answer

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

I forgot the IP assigned to the device. I am sure SSH was activated. I am not using the network to access the device. I am consoled in.

I got into the device. The prompts are asking for selecting "flash

image index [1->7]:". do I randomly select 1-7?  The image/IOS was updated, however, I don't recall deleting old 7.xx image. Kindly advise.

Use ? for help.

rommon #0> sh flash

Please define the specific show command.

Valid "show" command arguments are:

"idprom": display ID-PROM Fields

"  info": display platform specific information

"   gdb": display image gdb settings

"   reg": display current TFTP port device registers

"  stat": display current TFTP port state and stats

rommon #0> confreg

Current Configuration Register: 0x00000001

Configuration Summary:

boot default image from Flash

Do you wish to change this configuration? y/n [n]: y

enable boot to ROMMON prompt? y/n [n]: y

select specific Flash image index? y/n [n]: y

enter Flash image index [1->7]:

Thanks. Password recovery completed. Again my concern is why it took so long to connect through the terminal emulator.

It is difficult to say why it was slow in connecting.  Have you disconnected and connected again, do you experience the same issue after recovering the password?  Most often it has to do with the terminal emulator / COM port driver.  But in the rare case, it could be the ASA and if it is not resolved with a restart it could be that the Serial port might be a little faulty.

--
Please remember to rate and select a correct answer

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

I had connected a Win xp box and used Hyperterminal to access the 5505-still no access. I had used the same rollover cable that was used on Win 7 box. The 5505 was hard booted several times. The Win 7 box accessed a 2500 router, using Terra Term with success.

Hi,

The ASA5505 tends to get hot if it's not placed in a cool place or a controlled room environment. Your unit might be on the edge or already become faulty.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi,

I never had problems using TeraTerm or
SuperPutty when connecting to console port on my ASA5505.

Make sure baud rate is set to 9600. Try with another PC or serial cable/adapter.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I had unplugged the device/hard booted several times.  I switched to a Win XP box, still no connection using Hyperterminal, using baud rate of 9600, no flow control....  The 5505 was reconnected to the original Win 7 computer.  It took several hours until the 5505 was responding to a terminal emulator. I had tested the Win 7 box, using same roll over cable and was successfull accessing a 2500 router. The 5505 may have a fault. The 5505 was unplugged sitting on my desk to 6-7 months.  The moisture in the air may have caused some corrosion to the circuitry. I do not remember dropping the box. I will continue lab sessions on the 5505,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card