cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Updating Software on ASA5510

brenteverett
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All!  I happen to have a ASA5510 (Security Plus license) laying around and was wanting to update it to the latest version of software however I'm having some difficulty doing so.  Here's what I have on it currently:

Hardware ASA5510-K8, 1024 MB RAM, CPU Pentium 4 Celeron 1600 MHz

Internal ATA compact flash, 256 MB

ASA Appliance software 7.0(6)

Device Manager software 5.0(6)

I downloaded asa823-k8.bin and asdm-634-53.bin however it won't let me install it from either the command line or the gui, the error i recieve is this:

"device manager image set, but not a valid image file disk0:/asdm-634-53.bin"

I've downloaded it a few time to make sure the file wasn't corrupted however I'm wondering if I need to update the software in steps, i.e. version 7.0 to 7.5 to 8.0 to 8.2 or something like this.  Any thoughts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brent,

The ASA will need to be running an 8.x version of code before it can use ASDM 6.3(4). However, if you are seeing the same "not a valid image" message when trying to set the boot variable for ASA 8.2(3), check the file's MD5 hash to make sure it is the correct, full file and it was not corrupted on download. If you use FTP to copy the file anywhere, make sure you do the transfer in binary and not ASCII mode (the ASA does this by default).

Also, based on the 8.2 release notes, you should follow up an upgrade path of 7.0 -> 7.1, 7.1 -> 7.2, and 7.2 -> 8.2:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/release/notes/asarn82.html#wp315678

Hope that helps.

-Mike

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brent,

The ASA will need to be running an 8.x version of code before it can use ASDM 6.3(4). However, if you are seeing the same "not a valid image" message when trying to set the boot variable for ASA 8.2(3), check the file's MD5 hash to make sure it is the correct, full file and it was not corrupted on download. If you use FTP to copy the file anywhere, make sure you do the transfer in binary and not ASCII mode (the ASA does this by default).

Also, based on the 8.2 release notes, you should follow up an upgrade path of 7.0 -> 7.1, 7.1 -> 7.2, and 7.2 -> 8.2:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/release/notes/asarn82.html#wp315678

Hope that helps.

-Mike

That worked, thanks! running at 8.2(3) software now

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card