Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Upgrade ASA 5505 from 8.2.5 to 8.3 or 8.4

I have been delaying an upgrade past 8.2.5 because it is stable and I didnt feel like learning a new way of doing NAT because of the way the code was changed.  What is forcing me to go down this path is that I need to be able to let protocol 41 pass through the firewall which doesnt work in 8.2.5 and is what is making me look at 8.3 or 8.4

I know that I will have to install a memory upgrade on both my lab 5505's before I can install the upgraded binary.  Will be ordering that in the next few days.

Any suggestions on going to 8.3 or 8.4 based on the reason for the upgrade ?  I had been told by TAC to stay away from 8.3 but never got a good reason for that.  My lab config (i.e. home ASA) is pretty straight forward (no SSL or IPSEC config), so I would hope it would go fairly smooth.  I had heard a lot of horror stories early on but wanted to see how things had been going for everyone with the later versions of code.

Thanks,

Ron

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Upgrade ASA 5505 from 8.2.5 to 8.3 or 8.4

Ron

I recently looked at this question with a customer who has been running 8.2 and needs to get some features in newer code. We decided that it made more sense to go to 8.4 than to 8.3.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies