cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade PIX 535, licensing question.

smolz
Level 4
Level 4

I recently purchased a PIX 535, it came with 6.3(5). My question is, can I upgrade to the 7.x/8.x software directly or do I need to purchase a license for the new software?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

srue
Level 7
Level 7

you need to make sure you have the proper smartnet contract for it (software update assurance , i think) - or purchase a one time upgrade license.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_data_sheet09186a008007d05d.html

scroll to the bottom of that page.

View solution in original post

If you've recently purchased the Pix, then I would refer back to your supplier, they should have shipped the Pix with the most current software release pre-installed, which is now version 8, or at the very least shipped it with version 7 installed. You shouldn't be expected to purchase an upgrade license for a new product.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

srue
Level 7
Level 7

you need to make sure you have the proper smartnet contract for it (software update assurance , i think) - or purchase a one time upgrade license.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_data_sheet09186a008007d05d.html

scroll to the bottom of that page.

If you've recently purchased the Pix, then I would refer back to your supplier, they should have shipped the Pix with the most current software release pre-installed, which is now version 8, or at the very least shipped it with version 7 installed. You shouldn't be expected to purchase an upgrade license for a new product.

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

You need both Software and Licence but to keep existing licence (Save money)...

The PIX Security appliance Version 7.0 supports two kinds of license keys.

?Existing 4-tuple license key for PIX Version 6.3 or earlier

?A new 5-tuple license key for PIX Security appliance Version 7.0 only

?When upgrading from PIX Version 6.3 to PIX Security appliance Version 7.0, the existing license key for PIX Version 6.3 is preserved and is saved in a central location on the Flash filesystem.

?When downgrading from PIX Security appliance Version 7.0 to PIX Version 6.2 or 6.3, the existing license key for the original PIX Version 6.2 or 6.3 that was saved during the upgrade procedure is retrieved and saved to the PIX Version 6.2 or 6.3 image.

?If neither a PIX Version 6.3 nor PIX Security appliance Version 7.0 license is installed, the PIX Security appliance Version 7.0 runs in the default setting, which is a Restricted license.

Prerequisites to

Several prerequisites are required before upgrading to PIX Security appliance Version 7.0, covered in the following sections:

?Minimum Hardware Requirements

?Minimum Software Requirements

?Minimum Memory Requirements

?Client PC Operating System and Browser Requirements

?Minimum Connectivity Requirements

In case any more information required regarding licence contact to cisco.

Regards,

Dharmesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: