Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrading from cisco pix 515e to asa 5510

donnie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I would like to upgrade my cisco pix 515e ver 6.3(4) to asa5510 ver 8.2(1).

Pls advise if i can export the config from pix515e and import to asa5510 and if the config exported from my pix is usable in my asa5510 straight away or i need to make some changes for the config to work in asa ver8.2(1). Thks in advance.

15 Replies 15

wromsait
Level 1
Level 1

You won't be able to export the config directly from the pix running 6.3.4 to the asa running 8.2.1.   You would need to upgrade your pix from 6.3.4 to the 7.2 code.  You can follow the procedure below.  Please be aware of the memory requirements. 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a00804708d8.shtml

Once you are running 7.2 code on the pix, you can use this configuration and reconfigure it for the ASA 8.2.1.   You would need to clean up the configuration to match the interface number on the ASA.  Other than that, the config should be compatible with the ASA 8.2.1.

I hope this helps.

regards,

Wasan Romsaitong

Shilpa Gupta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

In addition to what Wassan has said, you can also use a pix to asa migration tool.

The following is the link for downloading the tool:-

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/Tablebuild/doftp.pl?ftpfile=cisco/ciscosecure/pix/PIXtoASAsetup_1_0.exe&app=Tablebuild&status=showC2A

Also you can read more about migration from pix to ASA from the link below:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/migration/guide/pix2asa.html#wp290854

Thanks,

Shilpa

also things like certificates and keys you might need to generate them again

Hi Shilpa,

I most probably will use the tool you mentioned. Can you advise how long it take for the conversion process base on your experience?

donnie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Thk you for your prompt response.

Basically this firewall is used mainly for the following functions. Pls advise if the upgrade will affect the below in terms of config

1)site to site vpn to multiple sites

2)NAT for some internal servers to public ip

3)PAT for internal to external

4)accesslists for incoming and outgoing traffic

Hello,

It will not take much time may be less than 15 min's.

Also it will be great if you follow the upgrade path and change the configuration as per the upgrade path. You can upgrade it to 7.x version and then to 8.x.

Take care for the following:-

• Ensure you have no conduit or           outbound/apply commands in your current           configuration. These commands are no longer supported in 7.x and the upgrade           process removes them. Use the           Conduit           Converter tool in order to convert these commands to access-lists before           you attempt the upgrade.

• Ensure that PIX does not terminate Point to Point Tunneling Protocol           (PPTP) connections. Software version 7.x currently does not support PPTP           termination.

• Copy any digital certificates for VPN connections on the PIX before           you start the upgrade process.

• Plan to perform the migration during downtime. Although the migration           is a simple two step process, the upgrade of the PIX Security Appliance to 7.x           is a major change and requires some downtime.

The following is the link for reference:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00808554ed.shtml

The following the link which explains all changes of commands  and features from 6.x to 7.x:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa70/pix_upgrade/upgrade/guide/pixupgrd.html#wp1599386

I hope it helps.

• Hi Shilpa,

THk you!

So i will use the pixtoasa conversion tool to load the config from my pix to my asa5510 which is running asa ver 7.2

Then i will upgrade the asa 5510 from ver7.2 to ver8.2

Will the process from ver7.2 to ver8.2 make great changes to my asa config such that certain functions may not be workable?

Hi,

There is not much difference in configuration commands for 7.x and 8.x versions. When you convert from pix 6.3.4 version to 7.x, you need to configure some things manually.

You need to make sure of the following:-

PPTP  VPN is not supported on software versions 7.x. PPTP commands in the  source configuration are marked as comments in the converted  configuration with a note that they are not supported.

Exporting  certificates is not supported in PIX 6.3. If you have certificates in  your PIX configuration, you must either upgrade to PIX version 8.0 and  export the certificates first, or you must obtain a new certificate  after the conversion process.

Serial  cable failover is not supported in the ASA platform. Therefore, you  must add LAN failover on the ASA after the migration process.

Physical  interface exhaustion—A physical interface must always be mapped  one-to-one to a destination physical interface. If interfaces in the  source platform exceed the number of available intehttps://supportforums.cisco.com/post!reply.jspa?message=3193112rfaces available in  the destination platform, such as migrating from a fully equipped  Cisco PIX 535 to an Cisco ASA 5540, those interfaces will be converted  to the 7.x syntax but will keep their original interface names.

Multiple Context Mode—You must manually convert multiple context mode configurations.

VLANS  on the Cisco ASA 5505—On an Cisco ASA 5505, the migration tool assigns  VLAN 2 to Ethernet 0/0 and VLAN 1 to all other physical interfaces.  Typically, VLAN 1 and VLAN 2 provide access to inside and outside  interfaces. If you do not assign source interfaces to these VLANs, then  the ASA will not have access to the inside and the outside interfaces.

Once you have converted configuration from 6.3.4 to 7.2, you can make sure if its fine or not. Once it is done, you can either upload the configuration directly to ASA having 7.2 code and  upgrade the ASA. or you can also use the conversion tool to convert it to 8.x.

During conversion, you can see some of the warning messages, for e.g.:-

INFO: PIX to ASA conversion tool $Revision: 1.9 $

INFO: PIX Version 6.3(4) Removed from config

INFO: fixup protocol sip udp 5060 Removed from config

WARNING: The configuration is NOT supported - floodguard enable

WARNING: Your password is set to all STARS(*) Please Correct before deploying to the new 
    device! 'vpdn username cisco password ********* '

INFO: Cryptochecksum:e136533e23231c5bbbbf4088cee75a5a Removed from config

INFO: : end Removed from config

INFO: The destination platform is: asa-5540

which will tell you what changes has been done and what changes you need to do. For e.g all the passwords will be converted to"*'
    So you need to put the passwords again.

You can try this method and let me know if you need any help.

Hi Shilpa,

Thk you for the advise and apologies for late reply. Can i know what is the difference between single mode and multiple mode in cisco pix?

Hello,

The adaptive security appliance runs in a combination of the following modes:

Transparent firewall or routed firewall mode

The firewall mode determines if the security appliance runs as a Layer 2 or Layer 3 firewall.

Multiple context or single context mode

The security context mode determines if the adaptive security appliance  runs as a single device or as multiple security contexts, which act like  virtual devices.

You can partition a single security appliance into  multiple virtual devices, known as security contexts. Each context is  an independent device, with its own security policy, interfaces, and  administrators. Multiple contexts are similar to having multiple  standalone devices.

You can read more about it in the following links:-

http://www1.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa83/command/reference/cli.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa70/configuration/guide/contexts.html

Thanks,

Shilpa

Hi Shilpa,

Thk you. After understanding the differences between the 2 modes i confirm my pix firewall is on single mode though i cannot verify using "show mode" command since my pix is on 6.3(4).

As my asa 5510 already has some config that i want to maintain and its on ver 8.2(1), do you think its possible to export my pix config to add on to existing asa config at ver8.2(1) using the conversion tool? Thks in advance.

Hello,

Yes, you can merge the configuration on ASA.

When you copy a configuration to the running configuration, you merge           the two configurations. A merge adds any new commands from the new           configuration to the running configuration. If the configurations are the same,           no changes occur. If commands conflict or if commands affect the running of the           context, then the effect of the merge depends on the command. You might get           errors, or you might have unexpected results.

The following is the reference link:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a008072142a.shtml#ftp

And just to be on safer side, keep the back of the configuration which is already present on ASA.

Thanks,

Shilpa

Hi Shilpa,

Thk you! I will probably forgo the merging to reduce complication. I have tried out the conversion tool which generate a text file. I know how to upload the converted text file to my asa disk:0 using asdm. But how do i copy this text file to the running-config using asdm? Pls advise.

Hello,

You can not restore the running-config from ASDM. You need to use CLI.

Although there are options on ASDM for backup and restore.

You can specify configurations and images to restore from a zip file on your local  computer. The zip file you choose must be created from the Tools > Backup  configurations option.

You can only restore backups to the same security appliance from which they were  originally made.
    Also, although you can use the Tools > Backup Configurations option to  back up a running configuration, you cannot use the Tools > Restore Configurations option to restore it. Instead, unzip and transfer the running-config.cfg file to the  security appliance file system, then use the copy running-config.cfg startup-config command to restore the startup configuration file. Finally, reboot to load it to memory.

There is a bug id also for the same. Please find the link below:-

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsr46204

Thanks,

Shilpa

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card