cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

user license issues with ASA in A/A mode

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

I need to get 400 users on the Internet with a pair of ASA5520's for high availability. If I get two 250 user models will this work? I figure that when both boxes are working each should have approx 200 users. If one fails then I understand all users will not be able to get on. However, when both are up I would like to have a total of 500 slots available. My concern is that somehow the A/A setup will limit me to the amount of user on one box which would be too low. If this is the case then I would have to purchase two 500 user models which may not be financially possible.

Any ideas of how this would work?

Thanks,

Diego

4 Replies 4

guibarati
Level 4
Level 4

The ASA is not licenced based on number of inside users accessing outside network.

You may be looking at VPN peers or Vlan number, which does not limit local users.

I guess I should have been more specific. I am looking at users but the user count is for the CSC-SSM module. Maybe that means that my plan for two 250 user ASA/CSC-SSM boxes will work since I am pretty sure that the CSC doesn't play a role in the A/A HA setup. What do you think?

Diego,

Technically what you are saying sounds correct but look at the below question from the FAQ for CSC-SSM which you might find interesting.

Q. What is considered a "user"?

A. A user is an employee, contractor, or other regular worker that is protected by the product. For licensing and legal purposes, the CSC-SSM should be licensed for the total, not concurrent, number of users whose traffic is being scanned.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/prod_qas0900aecd8040397e.html

Regards,

Arul

*Pls rate if it helps*

Thanks for the link. Seems to me then that I should be OK.

Rgds,

Diego

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card