Views
Helpful
Replies

Using NAT to change origin IP of outgoing mail

Mortenbk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! 

I am new to ASDM, so please bear with me if my question does not make sense. 

The situation:

We have a Cisco ASA 5505 and a range of IPs going from x.x.x.40 to 46. Two of the IPs are mapped to a sub-domain namely:

x.x.x.42 -> mail.company.com

x.x.x.44 -> vpn.company.com

The outside interface of the ASA is mapped to .44 so people can access the VPN using the vpn.company.com address. Using NAT, people can access the webmail using the mail.company.com address. We have our own mail server on the inside interface of the ASA

Now, when we send out e-mails they can be traced back to the .44 IP which is setup with reverse DNS that points back to mail.company.com. However, we have been experiencing that some of our mails are classified as spam, since mail.company.com points to the .42 IP and not the .44 IP. 

My question is: is there a way that I can use NAT to translate mails (i.e. SMTP) to be send from the .42 IP when my outside interface is setup with the .44 IP? 

If not, is there any other way I can have my emails sent from the same IP as the mail.company.com subdomain without compromising VPN connectivity? I have full access to the DNS settings of our domain 

Thanks in advance! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bogdan Nita
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can NAT in whatever IP you want. You could also specify the service, so only email traffic will use the .42 IP .

The steps in ASDM should be something like:

Configuration -> Firewall -> NAT Rules -> Add Network Object -> Add Automatic Address Translation Rules
Type: Dynamic PAT
Translated Addr: .42
Advanced -> Service
Protocol: tcp
Real and Mapped port: 25

HTH

Bogdan

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Bogdan Nita
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can NAT in whatever IP you want. You could also specify the service, so only email traffic will use the .42 IP .

The steps in ASDM should be something like:

Configuration -> Firewall -> NAT Rules -> Add Network Object -> Add Automatic Address Translation Rules
Type: Dynamic PAT
Translated Addr: .42
Advanced -> Service
Protocol: tcp
Real and Mapped port: 25

HTH

Bogdan

Thanks for your reply! I tried this earlier with static translation which did not work, but I did not try with Dynamic PAT. I will try this tonight and let you know how it went!

It worked! It actually worked as well with the static route I tried earlier. I have just learned the hard way that the packet trace tool does not take unsaved changes into effect (I was a bit cautious, so I did not dare applying changes I was not sure about).

The header IP will be always the natted IP. Create SPF record pointing to
.42 IP which is used for email. This should stop spam

Hello! Thanks for your reply!

I assume I should do this after implementing Bogdan's solution? I am also looking at the SPF, but I am currently waiting for a reply from the people handling our newsletter since they changed the SPF record to make it work with MailChimp. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card