Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VPN on PIX 515e HELP

I need some help using the VPN wizard. First of all, the manual I have for the 515e says that PDM should be the GUI used to setup everything but this PIX has ASDM, is there a difference?

I don't have a real public network to connect to right now, so I am just using a PC on the outside to simulate it until I figure out how this thing works.

When I chose the VPN icon on the left side of the screen I get the following error: ASDM is unable to contact firewall. I can't find help on what this means.

Also when I get to the finishing step of the VPN wizard it is filled with errors, I believe this is due to the error above.

Can someone assist me, or point me in the direction of a useful guide to doing this.

• Firewalling
3 REPLIES

Re: VPN on PIX 515e HELP

I beleive the error message is pretty self explanatort :-)

Double check the connectivity

PDM is the Pix Device Manager whereas these days on new code its ASDM = adaptive security device manager

It maybe that you need to need to upgrade the gui

I think you might need to still explain it to me. I am connected to the PIX in order to be using the ASDM that is embedded on the PIX, so how can I not be connected to the firewall.

Also I am using the GUI through the inside port and I changed the IP address of this port to match the subnet of the inside network, I lost connectivity of course and tried to open a new web browser pointed to this new IP address and no go! Any idea why this won't work?

Forgive me if these are dumb questions, I am a newbie here, thanks.

You need to specify networks that can access the pix.

By default, http (what you need for asdm-access) is configured to allow access from 192.168.0.0/24 on the inside interface.

If you change the inside-adress you would need to connect with console-cable/telnet and issue:

enable (to get into admin-mode)

conf t (complete command: configure terminal - gets you into config-mode)

http inside 10.0.0.0 (or whatever matches your network)

end (get out of config-mode)

wr mem (save stuff)

Hope this helps !

Kenneth.

Views
Helpful
Replies