Helpful
Replies

vpn traffic & fields

secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Netpro Team,

Could you please answer the queries...

Query1 :- May i know what are the fields get attached to, while a vpn traffic is passing through a tunnel....         

Query2 :- which is the mechanism used to calculate the number of ACLs in asa.

Query3 :- Difference between router and firewall ACL..

regards()

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Query 1: do you mean which protocol and ports is VPN traffic? I assume that you mean IPSec VPN, so they are normally UDP/500, UDP/4500, ESP, and/or AH

Query 2: the number of lines in the output of "show access-list", which includes the expansion of ACL if object-group is created.

Query 3: cisco router uses wild card mask while cisco firewall uses netmask. Router ACL is stateless, while Firewall ACL is stateful, which means you only need to configure ACL in one direction, ie: where the traffic is initiated.

Hope that answers your questions.

View solution in original post

With GRE tunnels, it would be:

[GRE: source: 172.16.1.1 destination: 172.16.1.2] + [Payload: source: 10.10.1.0/24 + destination: 10.10.2.0/24]

Traffic will be routed through the GRE tunnel, and at the remote GRE tunnel interface will strip off the GRE header, and will be routed towards the destination subnet.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Query 1: do you mean which protocol and ports is VPN traffic? I assume that you mean IPSec VPN, so they are normally UDP/500, UDP/4500, ESP, and/or AH

Query 2: the number of lines in the output of "show access-list", which includes the expansion of ACL if object-group is created.

Query 3: cisco router uses wild card mask while cisco firewall uses netmask. Router ACL is stateless, while Firewall ACL is stateful, which means you only need to configure ACL in one direction, ie: where the traffic is initiated.

Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks Jennifer,

I was looking for the answer - Router ACL is stateless, while Firewall ACL is stateful !!!

For the first query, please confirm if the below would suit.

[ipheader] + [AH-ESP] + [Payload]

where ipheader = ip.src + ip.srcport + ip.dst + ip.dstport

And the traffic flow of an ipsec traffic would be as given below ??

reciev-pkt -> ingress interface -> received pkt-> check conn table -> check xlate->check acl-> vpn-crypto-match -> check inpsect-csc->check nat-ip-header->check ips->egress interface->check routing->check L2-addr -> transmit packet

Thanks in advance...

[ipheader] only includes ip.src + ip.dst as IP doesn't have ports

Here is a doc on AH and ESP packet for your reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk543/tk757/technologies_tech_note09186a00800b3d15.shtml#t2

Here is a packet flow through ASA firewall:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_tech_note09186a0080ba9d00.shtml

ooops sorry..i knew. ip header will have only ip and tcp header has ports..sorry.

below link is not working..for ah/esp

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk543/tk757/technologies_tech_note09186a00800b3d15.shtml#t2    

sorry, it does not open, it gives Forbidden File or Application..

could you pls download the same and share...

Pls try to close your browser, or try with another browser as that URL is public and you should be able to access it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk543/tk757/technologies_tech_note09186a00800b3d15.shtml#t2

Hi,

Can you please tell me, what are the field get attached to the ipheader, when the ipsec traffic is going thru a GRE tunnel.

For GRE over IPSec, it would be:

[ipheader] + [ESP] + [GRE] + [Payload]

Thanks for the update...

if we talk more specifically, for example, there is a gre tunnel with the peers, 172.16.1.1-2 and the two networks in both ends are 10.10.1.0/24 and 10.10.2.0/24 with ospf running.. Then what are all the fields get added in here if we go in deep...

With GRE tunnels, it would be:

[GRE: source: 172.16.1.1 destination: 172.16.1.2] + [Payload: source: 10.10.1.0/24 + destination: 10.10.2.0/24]

Traffic will be routed through the GRE tunnel, and at the remote GRE tunnel interface will strip off the GRE header, and will be routed towards the destination subnet.

thanks for the update.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: