Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN user licensing for Cisco 2921

shivani.sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Cisco 2921 in the network acting as a VPN server for remote access using Cisco VPN Client for employees. I have couple of questions on that.

How do I find out how many users are allowed to access the VPN with current license?

If I want to increase the number of users that can access VPN, what license do I need to buy?

Attached is the version of VPN client the users are using.

Thank you.

Shivani

2 Replies 2

jj27
Spotlight
Spotlight

I believe you are limited to a maximum of 225 IPSEC tunnels on the 2921 base platform.  If you want to do more than that, you would need the VPN module. 

Details of the module can be found here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/vpn-internal-service-module-isr-g2/data_sheet_c78-682436.html

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The ISR G2 family (including the 2921) as an IPSec VPN gateway supports up to 225 concurrent clients. There's not an option to add more (or have a lesser license level). This is mentioned in this FAQ.

When the headend is an ASA, the supported concurrent legacy IPSec clients are limited by the hardware platform (not by the license).

It's when you move to SSL VPN (AnyConnect client-based or clientless) or IPSec IKEv2 (with AnyConnect client) you  have to consider licensing types and levels. AnyConnect Essentials license is for the platform and the altternative AnyConnect Premium is licensed by number of concurrent users in various license levels.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card