Views
Helpful
Replies

Want to start in Security

Nitin Virmani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there guys,

I have decided about going towards information security path.

Just wanted to check if someone can suggest where to start. I want to build on basics rather then following any certification track.

Any suggest or a book will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

since you are posting here, I suppose you want to start your security carrier with Cisco.

To do the CCNA security certification you  only need the CCENT cert first...however I would suggest getting the full CCNA R&S before doing the CCNA Security (just my opinion).  Once you get your CCNA Security move on to the CCNP Security certification.  Once you complete this you should have a very good understanding of IOS security, ASA, VPNs and IPS.

As for books, I used the CCNA Security and CCNP Security self study books, along with instructor lead courses.  The books can be found at ciscopress.com You could also look into video training, I am currently using INE.com and find their products to be very good.

From here it is really up to you where you want to go If you want to specialize in Cisco products then the next step is CCIE Security which will include what I have just mentioned plus Identity Services Engine, Cisco Secure Access Control Server, Web Security Appliance and some Windows Server security.

Or you could go for the CISSP certification which is not a product specific certification but more of a best practices in general...but it is quite tough from what I have heard.

Or you could do both.

Other options would be to persue CheckPoint certifications and Juniper certifications.

--

Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

--

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

since you are posting here, I suppose you want to start your security carrier with Cisco.

To do the CCNA security certification you  only need the CCENT cert first...however I would suggest getting the full CCNA R&S before doing the CCNA Security (just my opinion).  Once you get your CCNA Security move on to the CCNP Security certification.  Once you complete this you should have a very good understanding of IOS security, ASA, VPNs and IPS.

As for books, I used the CCNA Security and CCNP Security self study books, along with instructor lead courses.  The books can be found at ciscopress.com You could also look into video training, I am currently using INE.com and find their products to be very good.

From here it is really up to you where you want to go If you want to specialize in Cisco products then the next step is CCIE Security which will include what I have just mentioned plus Identity Services Engine, Cisco Secure Access Control Server, Web Security Appliance and some Windows Server security.

Or you could go for the CISSP certification which is not a product specific certification but more of a best practices in general...but it is quite tough from what I have heard.

Or you could do both.

Other options would be to persue CheckPoint certifications and Juniper certifications.

--

--
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: