Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Will ASA upgrade from 7.2 to 8.0 preserve my license?

I just received a new ASA 5505 with a "Inside Hosts: 50" Base license and I have a Smartnet contract for it (so I'm allowed to upgrade it). It came with 7.2 and I would like to upgrade it to 8.0 before I roll it out to the client site. Do I have to do anything special to make sure when I upgrade that my "Inside Hosts: 50" doesn't get changed to an "Inside Hosts: 10" or is that covered by that "Running Activation Key" 30-digit hex code that I see when I do a "show ver"?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Will ASA upgrade from 7.2 to 8.0 preserve my license?

You can upgrade to 8 without a problem. The key is not tied to the software version.

3 REPLIES

You can upgrade to 8 without a problem. The key is not tied to the software version.

Gold

in any case, it's good practice to keep all your activation keys in a spreadsheet somewhere.

not doing that bit me in the @ss once as i struggled with TAC to get a new key generated.

Yes, I'm making sure I keep a log of "show ver" on all the routers, PIX, and ASAs that I manage in addition to a copy of the config.

Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content