Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Windows XP and Asa5500

I have a ASA 5500 which workstations can remotely connect into using the Cisco VPN client software. These connect well

I want to be able for this to work by using the VPN connection wizard on Windows XP without installing the client software.

I cannot connect using the XP wizard - I am probably doing something obviusly wrong. Any ideas / hints?

If it helps the entries in the Cisco VPN clinet are:-

Host - Ip address of Asa

Name :- Users

Password:- abc123

Tranport Ip over UDP

I then have to enter username and password once connected to Asa.

Perhaps I am simply entering the wrong details in the Xp wizard

1 REPLY

Re: Windows XP and Asa5500

Mark,

The cisco VPN Client is not integrated in any Windows platform, as it is in the case of the native Microsoft PPTP vpn client. When you use the Windows connection wizard , Windows expects to use the Microsoft PPTP client as this client is integrated in the Windows OS and expects to connect to a PPTP server.

So for RA Ipsec you must have Cisco proprietary VPN client installed in all your clients for RA which you will not find in Windows connection wizard.

The only way I could see it posible is by implementing L2TP over Ipsec in your ASA firewall, but this is a whole new implementation of RA on top of your regular Ipsec RA VPN that uses the Cisco VPN client. Implementing L2TP over Ipsec the windows XP clients would not need Cisco VPN client installed but rather used Windows integrated client as long it has Windows service pack for supporting L2TP as seen in bellow link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00807213a7.shtml

Hope this helps

Regards

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content