Views
Helpful
Replies

ZBF: Logging of drops because of inspects

Johannes Luther
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

It's all about zone-based firewalling on an IOS router with 12.4(T) image.

is there a possibility to log drops, that are caused by an inspect action? For example a packet with the tcp-flag "ACK" is dropped, because there was no initial "SYN" - so the packet is out of state and dropped.

From a configuration point of view, it would look like the following:

I have a policy-map with different class-maps. One class-map for tcp-traffic inspection, one for udp inspection and one class-default with a drop action.

If there is an out-of-state TCP packet, it would match the tcp-traffic class-map and is dropped, due to inspection. But there is no logging event for that.

I use 12.4(11)T4 with adv. IP services.

Edit:

When doing a "debug ip packet", I can that the packet is dropped, because of the inspection. But a debugging output won't help me. Especially a debug ip packet in a live environment :-))

REMOTE-LBR1# debug ip packet detail

REMOTE-LBR1#

000331: *Jun 30 15:51:09.759 MESZ: IP: tableid=0, s=172.16.1.100 (FastEthernet0/1), d=10.134.128.1 (FastEthernet0/0), routed via FIB

000332: *Jun 30 15:51:09.763 MESZ: IP: s=172.16.1.100 (FastEthernet0/1), d=10.134.128.1 (FastEthernet0/0), len 40, dropped by inspect

1 Reply 1

Alex Yeung
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try 'ip inspect log drop-pkt', it works in both classic IOS FW config and Zone-based FW config.

Alex Yeung

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card