cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

100Mb v. GB ports

sunchaser256
Level 1
Level 1

We have 140 workstations connected to 2924's running through ONE 100Mb port on a central switch accessing 15 servers that reside on a GB switch. The port is at 90%. Wondering if we should trunk 100Mb ports or commit to buying a centralized GB switch. We have had issues trunking in the past. Any advice would be much appreciated.

3 Replies 3

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Seeing that you are already at 90%, the fact that you need to upgrade is quite obvious. You can go for a GigE option or might even want to consider EtherChannel so that you get nx100 Mbps bandwidth.

There really should be no problems with trunking if configured properly.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Hello,

in addition to Paresh´s post, I am not sure if you can mix FastEthernet and GigabitEthernet interfaces in the same channel, I think the interfaces have to be of the same type. Which Gigabit switch (type) do you have exactly ?

Regards,

Nethelper

The central switch is a Cisco Catalyst 3750-48PS 48 Ethernet 10/100 ports with PoE and 4 SFP ports. One of the 48 ports (on the 3750) chains to one of the 100Mb ports on a 2950-48 which chains from the GBethernet uplink to a GBethernet port on a 2970 GB switch with the 15servers. GigabitEthernet is what we have. I believe the 4 SFP ports have the potential to upgrade to GB. They are currently 100Mb.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card