cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 dual purpose uplink ports

josephp
Level 1
Level 1

Hello folks, I just need to confirm the uplink ports for the 2960.

The Data sheet shows.....

WS-C2960-24TC-L

• 24 Ethernet 10/100 ports and 2 dual-purpose uplinks (each dual-purpose uplink port has one 10/100/1000 Ethernet port and 1 SFP-based Gigabit Ethernet port, 1 port active)

• 1 RU fixed-configuration

• LAN Base Image installed

Does this mean that I can only have 1 active uplink port (interface) at a time?

Or

Does it mean that I can use either Copper or Fiber at a time?

Thanks in advance I appreciate your help.

Regards,

JP

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

JP,

The C2960-24TC-L has 2 dual-purpose ports which means that either the SPF or RJ-45 port can be used at one time.

HTH,

Mark

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

JP,

The C2960-24TC-L has 2 dual-purpose ports which means that either the SPF or RJ-45 port can be used at one time.

HTH,

Mark

Thanks Mark I appreciate your help.

Does it mean ws-c2960-24TC-L has four up link ports in which 2 are 10/100/1000 Rj-45 and 2 SFP ports. When I configure SFP ports using CCW i did not find any fiber or copper modules to add. Please also reply me on salahuddin97@yahoo.com

No... It is 2 are 10/100/1000 Rj-45 or 2 SFP ports. You cannot use all four simultaneously.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/hardware/installation/guide/higover.html#wp1146721

HTH,

Mark

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Or one port as copper and one port as SFP.

Basically, the a copper and SFP port are paired, either of the pair can be used, but not both of the same pair at the same time.

As you have two uplinks, you have two pairs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco