Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

3550 switch cannot PING itself or rest of network

Hello,

Nice simple question from a beginner. I have a 3550 switch which I have set up in a very basic config. See attachment. I have connected it via RJ45 into a 2900 switch so that I can link it into the rest of the network. The switchs are connected with a cross over cable and I get a green light on both ports. However I cannot ping the 3550 either from itself or from the 2900 and as a result cannot see the 3550 from anywhere on the network.

Please assist.

4 REPLIES
Silver

Re: 3550 switch cannot PING itself or rest of network

Your interface VLAN1 is administratively shutdown. Try this:

Switch# config t

Switch(config)# int vlan 1

Switch(config-if)# no shut

Switch(config-if)#exit

Try pinging now, it should work.

Hi Friend,

As Atif updated your layer 3 interface itself is in shutdown state so no layer 3 functionality will work.

Your switch will still pass and process data but will sure as you have experienced will not be reachable via ip and will not be able to ping itself or anybody in network.

As you do "no shut" your layer 3 interface which is "int vlan 1" will come up your and can be used for management purpose.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

That's better.

Thanks to you both for your help.

Cheers

Neal

Neal,

According to the config you posted, Interface Vlan1 appears to be shutdown - you might try "no shutdown" in interface configuration mode.

Is the connection between the 3550 and the 2900 a trunk? If it is a trunk, make sure the encapsulation is the same on both ends (dynamic desireable should work on the 3550 if the 2900 is similarly configured).

Darrell

Views
Helpful
Replies