Views
Helpful
Replies

3560G con0 loop.... please help!!

lee.foley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I had a switch go down recently. In replacing said switch i dropped the config onto the replacement, copied running config to start and reloaded.

However, when it had booted back up, i was unable to connect back onto the switch via the console cable.

Its simply states that Con0 is now available, press return to get started. However when i hit return it flashes Authentication failed and then loops back to Con0 is now available, press return to get started.

Can anybody offer me advice on

a)what could be a possible cause of this and

b) how i could resolve the problem.

Thanks in advance

Lee

3 Replies 3

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

I am new to this, but I think the issue might be you might be attempting to have your sw attempt to reach a radius or tacacs for auth (bad for a local console port). You need to set it for local atuh (I believe its 'login local'). I could be totally wrong in my observation though.

To fix it boot your sw (if you have that luxury)...I followed this guide, http://www.petri.co.il/csc_how_to_recover_lost_password_on_cisco_switch.htm, but you can find something on ciscos site also, and change/observe your line con 0 config that way.

Cheers

Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy

I'll give that a try and feedback.

Thanks again

Lee

If you are able to reboot the switch I would do the following:

reboot the switch

press on the mode button in order to come in rommon mode

switch: flash_init

switch: rename flash:config.text flash.config.text.temp

switch:boot

The switch will boot without any configuration because it can't find config.text.

Answer 'no' for initial configuration

switch>en

switch#copy flash:config.text.temp run

switch#wr

and then you've to look what's configured

aaa new-model

aaa authentication login default local

or

line con 0

login local

if this is true> check if there is a

user xxx secret/password xxxx is configured

I suspect that no user x secret xxx is configured.

Else you can help by posting all related config

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card