Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 stack priority issue

ToughGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I had a deffered IOS on my stack, so i have installed the new IOS and issued a reboot and the switch stack came back up....

however, the switch which was active is no more active as the highest MAC address is now active..

i wanna make switch 1 as active, switch 2 s standby and switch 3 as a member

sh switch
Switch/Stack Mac Address : f8a5.c54d.9600 - Local Mac Address
Mac persistency wait time: Indefinite
                                             H/W   Current
Switch#   Role    Mac Address     Priority Version  State
------------------------------------------------------------
 1       Member   0cf5.a41b.2f00     15     V04     Ready               
 2       Member   8480.2da1.1c80     10     V04     Ready               
*3       Active   f8a5.c54d.9600     1      V07     Ready

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Reboot the entire stack simultaneously and the order should be as what you require.

Let suppose i'm adding a new stack member Leo ... if i still reboot the stack... i dont think i can accomplish my need.....

Please advise further, Thanks

Hello,

Unfortunately, there is no way to change which switch is Active/Standby once the stack is up and running. This is only decided during the boot up process as they go through an election. This means if one switch is already up and running as the Active. New switches that are added to the stack will not preempt it and take over. 

Your output is strange because I would have expected one of the two switches to become standby. Did switch 1 end up becoming standby? If so, you have two options:

1) Reload all the switches to force a new election and the highest priority switches should win

2) Reload only switch 3. Since switch 1 is the standby, he will become active. There will be a new election for the standby and switch 2 should win. (Once again, this is assuming switch one eventually became standby but I couldn't tell from your outputs)

Hope this helps!

-Bradley Selzer
CCIE# 60833

@ToughGuy wrote:
Let suppose i'm adding a new stack member Leo ... if i still reboot the stack... i dont think i can accomplish my need.....

When the entire stack reboots, switch 1 will immediately become master because the priority has been configured. 

Switch 2 will become switch 2 and switch 3 will become switch 3.  Why?  Because the stack has remembered who's who.  Stack re-election will only elect who's the master.  Once this is done the next step is to determine who's going to be #2.  And this has already been accomplished.

So reboot the entire stack.  Switch 1 becomes master, switch 2 will remain as switch 2.  Switch 3 will fall in as switch 3.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card