cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509-e supervisor swap

David Flatley
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 6509-e (WS-C6509-E V04) with (4) (WS-X6148-GE-TX) 48 port modules and a supervisor 32 (WS-SUP32-GE-3B).

We purchased a supervisor 720 (WS-SUP720-3B) and (2) (WS-6708-10G-3C) 8 port fiber modules and (1) WS-X6748-GE-TX)

48 port module to add to the switch.

My question is what is the best way to swap out the supervisor module? Can the SUP720 be added as a standby module so that the

config can be transferred? Probably a long shot. Is there anything in this swap that I should be concerned with? The other three modules

should be pretty straight forward.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wait a second ... You CANNOT put a Sup32 and a Sup720 in the same chassis.  It just won't work.

robwils
Level 1
Level 1

I'd say your best bet is to use TFTP to transfer your config and vlan.dat to a server and then power down the device, swap the sup's and the line cards over. The line cards are hot swappable but as you're replacing the sup the system will reload anyway.

If I pull the Supervisor 32, can I plug it back in if I need to? And will config and vlan.dat still be there?

A fall back if needed?

Thanks.

Yes, the config will still be there as long as you save the running configuration with the write command (simply type "wr").

For peace of mind you can save a backup of the running config and vlan.dat to the supervisor's internal flash memory or an external flash card with the copy command (copy [source] [destination]). E.g:

copy run sup-bootflash:

copy const_nvram:vlan.dat sup-bootflash:

copy const_nvram:vlan.dat disk0:

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: