cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

871 -Flash & DRAM Upgraded - Now Boots into ROMMON

stu.packett
Level 1
Level 1

I bought a 16MB flash and 64MB DRAM memory upgrades for my 871. After I swapped out the 4GB flash that came with the router and put in the 16MB replacement, my 871 router now boots into ROMMON.

The problem is I cannot do a tftpdnld from rommon mode because it can't connect to the TFTP server. Even after typing in the commands listed on the link below and confirming it's accuracy, I cannot ping to or from the router. Am I missing a step? Did I also lose my config?

Thanks in advance.

7 Replies 7

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

chances are your 4mb flash contained the image that was used to boot the router.

try to put it back and boot up. if it does boot, try to move the image file to another location so you can swap flash.

if you cannot get out of rommon, then just look at the flash from there to see if it has an image on it. (which it problably doesn't since it's a new flash)

try to put the image the router uses on the new flash then put it into the router and boot.

to do a tftpdownload you must configure the ip address, subnetmask and default gateway within rommon.

your config you did have is not running, this is why you cannot ping or tftpdnld....you must set ip settings in rommon to get this to talk to your tftp server.

tftpdnld is not working even though I have the correct IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway. Even after I change the settings, from my TFTP server, I cannot ping the router in rommon mode.

I tried putting back the 4MB flash, but it brought me back to rommon as well.

I've done a tftpdnld before on a 2600 router without problems. Is there anything I could be doing wrong with the tftpdnld and SET commands in rommon?

Hi,

(1)Can you give the output of "dir flash:" with 4mb flash and 16 mb flash.

(2)In ROMMON mode give command "initialize"....when the router boots, Pls paste the output.

Regards

JD

1. I get "flash[0]: (read-write)" on the 16MB flash. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the 4MB flash at the moment.

2. Here's what the output is when the router reboots:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)YI, RELEASE SOFTWARE

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 2005 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C870 series (Board ID: 3-148) platform with 196608 Kbytes of main memory

No bootable image file: flash:/

Unable to open boot file

System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)YI, RELEASE SOFTWARE

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 2005 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C870 series (Board ID: 3-148) platform with 196608 Kbytes of main memory

rommon 1 >

Hi,

I believe that there is no image in your 16mb flash.

The only way out is tftpdnld.

What problem are you facing with tftpdnld?Say I use a TFTP server from www.solarwinds.net.(make sure after installing set file->configure->security is set to trans. and rec. both and the IOS file is present in root dir.)try following:

>IP_ADDRESS=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(192.168.1.120)

>IP_SUBNET_MASK=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(255.255.255.0)

>DEFAULT_GATEWAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(192.168.1.1)

>TFTP_SERVER=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(192.168.1.1)

>TFTP_FILE=c8xxxxxxx.bin(filename with ext .bin)

Now if you want to write the IOS to flash then give

>tftpdnld

Otherwise you can just load IOS to RAM and execute(in case u have flash problem:

>tftpdnld -r

Pls revert if any prob. comes.

Regards

JD

I did a little more searching and found out that ROMMON required the ethernet needs to be in the first ethernet interface. On the 871, I had the network cable in the WAN port which is fastethernet4. I placed the cable in fa0 and it downloaded immediately. Thanks again.

Hi

PS: Pls rate the post if it had helped.

Regards

JD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card