Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Issues from LAN

chiefwes1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.

I have a cisco 831 (my first piece of Cisco equipment). I have managed to get everything up and running and it works great. Behind my 831, I have a web server and a mail server that host multiple domains. Access to all services (http, smtp, pop3, ftp, rdp, ssh) from outside all work just dandy. However, clients on the LAN can not access the the web server (any request to one of the sites being hosted returns the cisco web login dialog from the router) and they can not pop the mailboxes on the mail server or send mail. All other external access works fine, it is just the LAN clients trying to request public services on the same network.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

I believe you'll need to change the internal DNS such that it gives out the internal address of those resources and make sure the internal clients are using the internal DNS as their primary.

The gateway router will not NAT an internal destination address with a packet sourced from an internal address.

Good Luck

Scott

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

I believe you'll need to change the internal DNS such that it gives out the internal address of those resources and make sure the internal clients are using the internal DNS as their primary.

The gateway router will not NAT an internal destination address with a packet sourced from an internal address.

Good Luck

Scott

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card