cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access or Trunk question?

jtalbaugh
Level 1
Level 1

Just wondering if there is ever a scenario where two switches connected to one another should not be trunked?

For example I have switch A connected to Switch B

Switch A config:

interface GigabitEthernet1/1

switchport

switchport access vlan 100

switchport mode access

Switch B config:

interface GigabitEthernet1/1

switchport access vlan 100

switchport mode access

Think of Switch A has the hub with various switches spoked off of it all connecting as a different vlan. (100, 101,102 etc...)

it just doesn't make sense to me why it was configured this way. I would think the interfaces between the switches should be trunked? However, only a single vlan is passed so is it necessary?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you only need 1 vlan on each switch then there is no reason to use a trunk link and it is perfectly valid to just use a switchport access configuration.

However gererally speaking you would want to have at least 2 vlans on each switch one for data and the other for management. You don't have to a separate management vlan but it is recommended best practice.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you only need 1 vlan on each switch then there is no reason to use a trunk link and it is perfectly valid to just use a switchport access configuration.

However gererally speaking you would want to have at least 2 vlans on each switch one for data and the other for management. You don't have to a separate management vlan but it is recommended best practice.

Jon

Thank you for the response.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card