cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access or Trunk question?

jtalbaugh
Level 1
Level 1

Just wondering if there is ever a scenario where two switches connected to one another should not be trunked?

For example I have switch A connected to Switch B

Switch A config:

interface GigabitEthernet1/1

switchport

switchport access vlan 100

switchport mode access

Switch B config:

interface GigabitEthernet1/1

switchport access vlan 100

switchport mode access

Think of Switch A has the hub with various switches spoked off of it all connecting as a different vlan. (100, 101,102 etc...)

it just doesn't make sense to me why it was configured this way. I would think the interfaces between the switches should be trunked? However, only a single vlan is passed so is it necessary?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you only need 1 vlan on each switch then there is no reason to use a trunk link and it is perfectly valid to just use a switchport access configuration.

However gererally speaking you would want to have at least 2 vlans on each switch one for data and the other for management. You don't have to a separate management vlan but it is recommended best practice.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you only need 1 vlan on each switch then there is no reason to use a trunk link and it is perfectly valid to just use a switchport access configuration.

However gererally speaking you would want to have at least 2 vlans on each switch one for data and the other for management. You don't have to a separate management vlan but it is recommended best practice.

Jon

Thank you for the response.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card