Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

AccessPoint strong signal but little or no connectivity

I'm having trouble with our wireless access point. We use Cisco 1100. For starters, when you connect, you get a strong signal but little or no connectivity. Any advice?

Thanks,

DJ

2 REPLIES

Re: AccessPoint strong signal but little or no connectivity

I don't know much about Cisco access points, but my experience with other APs is that when you see a strong signal but no connectivity, your WEP key is wrong. I had this particular problem when mixing D-Link and Dynex equipment because Dynex uses the passphrase to generate a scrambled key whereas the D-Link equipment just took the passphrase and made a key out of the ascii character codes. In any case, the key may or may not be the problem you're having, but I figured I would add my two cents.

Green

Re: AccessPoint strong signal but little or no connectivity

If by "Little or No Connectivity" you are talking about a Microsoft balloon in the lower right corner of your screen, that is telling you that you are connected, but it didn't get a DHCP address, it's using the APIPA 169.254.x.x.

Verify that you can get to the DHCP server, and that it is responding correctly.

As a quick test, assign an IP address (mask, default gateway, DNS) manually and see if it makes a difference for you.

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies