Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

adsl connection becomes cloggled/slow

cisco 2651XM router with WIC1-ADSL card
IOS: c2600-ipbasek9-mz.124-17.bin

I have a problem with this router in that the adsl connection seems to be getting clogged up or mangled and I lose internet connectivity. It happens about once every day and if I shut down the atm0/0 intterface and then start it again this restores the internet connection. The internet connection isn't completely down but if I ping www.google.co.uk from the router I get varying success rates from 0% to 80%. Normally the ping is 100% successful. This router has always been rock solid for years however this problem has co-incided with running a linux vpn machine with rtorrent through the router and I thus have a continuous stream of encrypted torrent traffic both ways. Why should this effect the router in this way? and is there a solution to stabilising the connection? should I be using a different IOS?

• Getting Started with LANs
5 REPLIES
Super Bronze

DisclaimerThe Author of this

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

From what you're describing, it may be the torrent flow is filling your pipe which causes issues for other traffic.

If your ADSL has asymetrical bandwidth, and available bandwidth is less than physical interface bandwidth, you might be able to improve the situation by shaping for egress bandwidth and using per flow FQ.  (NB: an interface shaper, alone, might use FQ.)

Managing ingress bandwidth, isn't always feasible.  Policing ingress torrent traffic might help.

thanks for your response:I

thanks for your response:

I should further mention I do have traffic throttling configured on the torrent program, which controls the speed both in and out at different times of the day (otherwise the traffic would simnply choke up all my bandwidth). So I'm not sure it's a 'choke' problem. Also, once the connection goes down  my vpn tunnel goes down, the torrent traffic stops and nothing will flow properly on the broadband, even non-vpn traffic. I was thinking maybe the type of traffic could be causing a hiccup in the adsl card but I'm not sure, because the main traffic is vpn traffic - which made me think I should use an IOS more suited to it (?). But I don't know if there is an IOS that's friendlier to vpn traffic.

Hi Tony, the 'IPbase' IOS is

Hi Tony, the 'IPbase' IOS is fine for VPN traffic.

Is this problem still occurring? I'd be curious to check the interface stats to check if packets are being dropped from the buffer, by issuing the  'show interface summary' command.

Ensure 'ip cef' is enabled and turn off 'ip virtual-reassembly' on your active interfaces.

Also, have you monitored your CPU utlilisation on the router with VPN traffic? show processes cpu sorted

Maybe it's a coincidence.

Maybe it's a coincidence. Maybe the quality of the Internet link got bad without you noticing it.

Can you disable the rtorrent app for a while and see if you still have issues? I'm just guessing.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

What is the bandwidth of your

1. What is the bandwidth of your DSL link? 
  2. Post the output to the command "sh dsl atm"
  3. How often (during the day) do you see this event happening?
Views
Helpful
Replies