Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

aDSL WIC in 1721 Router - Simple Network Help!

I'm new to Cisco, so please be gentle...

I have a DSL line at work that was previously connected to the 1721 Router. I want to share this internet connection over a simple wireless network to provide employees with internet access for their personal laptops that they bring to work. Unfortunately, when setting the Static IP settings in the d-link wireless adsl router, the VCI setting of 0 (as provided by my ISP) won't be accepted and I cannot gain internet access from my ISP. They are unable to change the VCI setting for me.

[ISP Settings]

IP: 205.243.xxx.xxx

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.252

Gateway: 205.243.xxx.yyy

VPI: 1

VCI: 0

DNS: 63.166.28.1 63.166.28.2

So here lies my problem. I want to configure the 1721 to be a simple DSL modem, then share the internet connection via a D-Link home router. I think it sounds simple in theory, but I am at a loss.

I have fashioned a management cable and I am able to connect to the console. I have learned to traverse through the configurations in feeble attempts to configure this myself using multiple examples on the internet. Overall, it feels like my time would be better spent kicking myself in the n&$s.

I feel that I have a pretty good grasp on technology, but this one is over my head.

I would appreciate any help that you can offer.

Thanks!

1 REPLY

Re: aDSL WIC in 1721 Router - Simple Network Help!

Hi

It also depends on the kinda card you are using over there in your router for this connectivity.

If you are using normal WIC card you can refer the below link for configuring up the same.

if you are not aware of the card type then do give show version command and paste the output here.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk175/tk15/tech_configuration_examples_list.html

regds

Views
Helpful
Replies