Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

architecture of firewall, cache, HTTP, and DMZ

Assume the Web Cache server is located in the DMZ while the HTTP Server and the (web) application server is located behind the firewall (private LAN).

1) Some resources mentioned that it is usual to place the web cache server behind the firewall but in front of the application server. If I place the web cache server in the DMZ, is it acceptable?

2) If the answer to the Que #1 is YES, will the Web Cache server need to be installed with the HTTP Server, too, in order to communicate with the HTTP server and the application server which are located behind the firewall? --Otherwise, how will the HTTP calls from the internet be handled? (If, in this case, we do need the HTTP server in the web cache server, then, we'll have two installations of the HTTP server in DMZ and behind the firewall--is this acceptable?).

3) Can I only install the HTTP server on the Web Cache server which is located in the DMZ? In this way, the internet calls will be handled by the HTTP Server first then it will route it to the application server behind the firewall, to avoid the installation of two copies of the HTTP servers (in front of and behind the firewall).

4) Can I use it (The ISA Server 2004) to replace the dedicated firewall?

If so, I'll have the firewall, the Web Cache, the HTTP server all togerther in one machine, while the Applciation Server and the Database Server will be located bihind this firewall. How feasible and acceptable is this architecture?

5) Is it feasible and acceptable to have a web cache server to have all the functions of the caching, HTTP forwarding, and firewall functions all togerther in one machine, and place this server in the DMZ?

Many thanks to help.

Scott

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: architecture of firewall, cache, HTTP, and DMZ

Yes, to answer one of your questions, you can place the web cache server in dmz, not an issue. Whether web cache server needs to be installed with HTTP server or not is dependent on how you intend to use it. This is very subjective to whether you want to use it with a browser.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content