Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

basic throughput calculations

Hi all,

I am doing some basic calculations for time it should take to transfer a file over my network. apparently its been a while since I had to do math as I am doubting myself!

I just wondered how long it would take to transfer my 90GB file over a network connection that I knew to be 800Mbps.

So I did the following:

1Mbps = .125MBps

800Mbps * .125MBps = 100MBps

So thats 100 meg a second correct?

1000Mb = 1GB

90000MB = 90GB

at that rate it should take roughly 900 seconds to transfer the 90GB file..or 15 minutes. is this right?

TIA,

R

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super Bronze

Re: basic throughput calculations

Your basic calculations are correct for time to transmit 90GB across 800 Mbps. In practice, due to frame/packet overhead, and how well stack deals with BDP (bandwidth delay product), actual transmission time might be considerably slower than the calculated value.

2 REPLIES
Super Bronze

Your basic calculations are correct for time to transmit 90GB across 800 Mbps. In practice, due to frame/packet overhead, and how well stack deals with BDP (bandwidth delay product), actual transmission time might be considerably slower than the calculated value.

Community Member

Thanks for your reply. I do realize that this is a perfect world scenario with no overhead and such. I have dis proven that this will ever be the case with an actual transfer, but just for the sake of math...i gave it ago! thanks again

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content