Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic WAN / Vlan Interface Configurations

northwest_trail
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm attempting to configure a Cisco 1812 to interface between 3 distinct subnets (e.g. 10.1.x.x, 10.2.x.x, 10.3.x.x). I'm very new at this, and am trying to learn (without having a device in front of me, to play with!)

Two of the subnets will interface through the two WAN ports (I don't need them for any WAN connections). The following is my configuration commands for one of them:

> enable

<enter password at prompt>

# config

(config)# interface FastEthernet0/0

(config-if)# ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

(config-if)# no shutdown

The other WAN inteface would be the same, excepting that I'm using the interface FastEthernet1/0 with the IP address 10.2.1.1.

The switch port I configure as follows:

> enable

<enter password at prompt>

# vlan database

(vlan)# vlan 1

(vlan)# exit

# config

(config)# interface Vlan1

(config-if)# ip address 10.3.1.1 255.255.255.0

(config-if)# no shutdown

Also, I'll configure FastEthernet0/0 as my default gateway, but I'll leave that part out of this post.

As far as communications between the three subnets, through the three configured interfaces, does this above configuration look valid?

Am I missing anything? Most particularly, I feel like I'm missing something in regards to configuring the SVI interface on the 8-port switch.

Thank you very much for your time, and thank you in advance for your help.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Configuring InterVLAN Routing and ISL/802.1Q Trunking on a Catalyst 2900XL/3500XL/2950 Switch Using an External Router

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800949fd.shtml

Thank you for the link, that's a really good example.

I have nearly the same configuration, excepting instead of the Catalyst switch I'm using a Cisco 1812 router.

I'm not sure that I understand the necessity for VLAN Trunking. Could the same end result be accomplished using static routing from the Cisco 2621 to the Catalyst 3512 (specifying static routes for the VLAN 1 and VLAN 2 subnets)? I suppose perhaps the VLAN Trunking uses a protocol that makes configuration simpler?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card