Replies

Beg VLAN /sw question...

uubozou11
Level 1
Level 1

This is what I am trying to do:

Switch 1 ----> Crossover ----> Switch 2

Switch 1 has an IP of say 22.110.250.2

I put Port 10 into VLAN 60 and connect it w/crossover to port 10 of Sw2.

For switch 2 I give it an IP of 34.120.250.2

I put port 10 into VLAN 60 and connect it w/crossover to port 10 of Sw1.

I know that Sw1 and Sw2 are not in the same subnet.

Since they are in the same VLAN shouldnt I be able to ping each other?

I obviously can not and the SW2 led is amber. SW1 led is green.

Thank you.

9 Replies 9

uubozou11
Level 1
Level 1

Oh yeah, I have verified that they are in the VL database also.

To add...they already are a part of a diff admin VLAN and both are 2924s.

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Just for information, when you gave the switches their IP addresses, you did so on a VLAN 60 interface? What mask did you use?

But that does not really matter. What does matter is that they are on different subnets. Therefore, normally they would want to communicate through a router. Did you have an ip default-gateway configured on either switch?

Now, if you take a router with ip routing disabled, and you configure no ip default-gateway, then it will ARP for everything, even stuff off its own subnet. So I think two routers configured in that way would talk to each other OK, but I have not tested it.

What is interesting in your case is the amber LED. Since the situation is symetrical, why should the two sides be showing different LEDs? That normally means that SW2 has errdisabled its port. Have a look at show int on SW2.

Also, do you have spanning-tree portfast on both sides? If not, do not judge whether it is working until you have waited at least 30 seconds for the Spanning-Tree to put the port in forwarding.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

I will check the spanning tree portfast Monday when I get in. These are production switches and items on other ports work, but just can not the switches to talk to each other...but knowing my greeness here, I know its going to be something simple, I hope :)

The port is not in err disabled status, the sh int looks likes nothing is connected (down/down). I do not have spanning-tree portfast on any of the respective ports in question. I tried a new cable this moring, no good, one side of sw is green (up/up) the other switch the cable is plugged into is amber (down/down).

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, you need routing to ping between subnets, are your switches miltilayer? if so you should check your RSM config, if not check the default gateway on your switch with the amber light. You are correct they are on the same vlan but not in the same subnet, you could try changing the ip to the same subnet as a test, it could answer some question for you about the config.

DW

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Try a no shut command on vlan 60 on switch2, the and on the port #10.

DW

joshproano
Level 1
Level 1

In regards to SW2 and its amber port LED.. Here are a few things to check.

1. Verify VLAN60 exists in the VLAN databse. "sh vlan" should show VLAN60 in the table.

2. Verify there is no spanning-tree bpdu-guard on the uplink port.

3. Check your crossover cable pinouts.

In regards to your question of layer 3 traffic.. assuming you can get a link up between the two switches... and assuming your using somewhere between /8 through /30 subnetting, the answer is not without a router. Even though they are sitting in the same vlan (Layer2) they are different networks (Layer 3).

For the routing piece if you had lets say...

LAB EXAMPLE:

Sw1:

ip routing

vlan 60

name Test

int vlan 60

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

Sw2:

vlan 60

name Test

int vlan 60

ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

ip default-gateway 10.1.1.1

pings would be possible between 10Net and the 192Net

There are other ways to do this and other potential answers to the ping question. But in the example traffic would be able to cross network boundaries.

Documentation told me I was at one site, when in reality I was configuring a switch at a totally different site. Sigh....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: