cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

boot bootldr, boot bootstrap and boot system command?

nitass
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Could anyone please explain me what the “boot bootldr” and “boot bootstrap” are? And how do they different from the “boot system” command?

I did not understand the description of these commands in the Cisco command reference document.

Thanks a lot,

Nitass

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Nitass.

Boot system is used to specify the system image that loads at startup i.e the full IOS image that system will load.

boot bootldr command is used to specified a boot loader image which is an image with only booting featues and few limited commands, this image is like a safe mode for the system where we fall back on if system is unable to boot from main image.

bootstrap is the minimum software that is required to recongnize and run the hardware. It comes both in software and hardwares with the software.Like in cat 6K on Sup's is a special hardware with an image on it.

HTH,

-amit singh

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Nitass.

Boot system is used to specify the system image that loads at startup i.e the full IOS image that system will load.

boot bootldr command is used to specified a boot loader image which is an image with only booting featues and few limited commands, this image is like a safe mode for the system where we fall back on if system is unable to boot from main image.

bootstrap is the minimum software that is required to recongnize and run the hardware. It comes both in software and hardwares with the software.Like in cat 6K on Sup's is a special hardware with an image on it.

HTH,

-amit singh

Hi amit-singh,

Thanks for reply.

Do you know where I can download the boot loader and boot strap software image?

I have tried to find it at download page and just saw only the ROMMON upgrade software image. Is it as boot strap software image?

Thank you very much,

Nitass

Could you please let me know the hardware you are using ???

regards,

-amit singh

Hi amit singh,

Thanks for reply. My hardware is Catalyst 4507R.

Thanks a lot,

Nitass

There is no boot loader image for your Sup on 4500's. You can upgrade the rommon i.e bootstrap and its the promupgrade image avaialable when u download the IOS from CCo for 4500's.

HTH,

-amit singh

Hi amit-singh,

Ok, thank you very much.

Thanks a lot,

Nitass

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: