Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadcasts

do broadcasts only happen at layer 2 ?

6 REPLIES
Gold

Re: broadcasts

Yes

Because broadcast frames are flooded out all ports on a switch the devices connected to the switch are in a broadcast domain.

Routers, which operate at Layer 3 of the OSI model, provide broadcast domain segmentation for each interface. Router by default drops all broadcasts

M.

Hope that helps rate if it does

so can i send broadcasts to another subnet or can i only do them on that subnet ?

What type of broadcast are you thinking of? For a dhcp broadcast you would configure an ip helper address in interface configuration mode to route that type of broadcast traffic to the dhcp server.

just in general really, as i thought routers dont forward broadcasts, they onlt happen on a lan ?

Green

Just a minor correction / clarification:

Flooding is not the same as broadcasting.

Broadcasting implies a destination MAC of (by convention) all ones.

Flooding (like what happens when a switch doesn't have the destination MAC in the forwarding table) means that the un-altered frame is transmitted out all ports (except the port from which the frame arrived).

Short story:

Broadcast: all-ones destination MAC, transmitted out all connected ports (because the destination address matches all hosts)

Flooding: all-port transmission of the unaltered frame. No change in the destination MAC.

FWIW

Scott

Generaly, routers only send broadcasts for their own use, such as arp, just like any node on a network. However, the router may support "directed broadcasts" also called "subnet broadcasts"

Example:

Lets say I am on network 10.1.1.0/24 and can reach network 10.1.2.0/24 accross one or more routers. I can send to the IP address 10.1.2.255. This would be the IP broadcast address for the 10.1.2.0/24 network. When the router for that network receives the IP directed-broadcast packet, it will forward it out that network using layer 2 broadcast so that all nodes on that net will receive it.

This behavior can be turned on and of with the "ip directed-broadcast" IOS command in interface config mode.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content