cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cannot ping/connect to wireless router on network ip

126dsf4ghdr3
Level 1
Level 1

I have set up three E4200 routers as wireless access points on our network.  They each have a static ip and the same subnet mask and gateway that our pcs have.  They also have a local address that I can connect to if wired straight into them.

I cannot ping or remote admin into any of them and I have enabled all the options to do so.  Am I missing some routing step here?  The routers seem to work fine as WAPs, providing internet and network access. Thanks for any help.

1 Reply 1

moemoe1818
Level 1
Level 1

I have set up three E4200 routers as wireless access points on our network. They each have a static ip and the same subnet mask and gateway that our pcs have. They also have a local address that I can connect to if wired straight into them.

I cannot ping or remote admin into any of them and I have enabled all the options to do so. Am I missing some routing step here? The routers seem to work fine as WAPs, providing internet and network access. Thanks for any help.

-

While I'm not that that familiar with Linksys devices, I think I can see the issue. A better way to think of that e4200 is as a router/firewall with an AP attached. The router / firewall portion of the device will most likely prevent any devices outside it's firewall connect to devices inside (especially for management).

I would assume right now you have the WAN port connected to your network. Essentially, by using these devices as APs, you have more than likely made each wireless AP contain it's own separate network - as such they view anything on the outside as WAN traffic and are only forwarding traffic via NAT.

You can try resetting the LAN interface IP address on the device to anything not in use on your real network, disable DHCP, and connect these device to your real network on their LAN ports (the large port group.)

-Jordan

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card