cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1600 Router

fconn
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1600 that I have a config on and want to copy it to another 1600..the only changes are the IP / Password..what is the best method of doing this

7 Replies 7

stomasko
Level 4
Level 4

Personally I would just use cut and paste into notepad. You can even modify the config before you paste it into the new router.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Do I have to delete the config from the router first then paste the config to the router

Hello,

you might want to use the command ´default interface´ first to reset the interfaces to their defaults.

Commands that are not overwritten by whatever you paste will, obviously, remain in the config and need to be manually removed...

HTH,

GP

If it has a config I would just for sanity sake. Erase start then reload will work.

thanks

thanks a lot

Hello,

in addition to what Steve said, you could also configure one of the routers as a TFTP server. Let´s say you have R1 and R2, and you want to copy the running-config of R2 to R1, you would configure R2 as the TFTP server for the running-config:

R2#copy running-config flash:

--> you will be prompted for a name, you might call this file ´running-config-R2´

Now the file is in the flash of R2. Configure R2 as a TFTP server for that file:

R2#conf t

R2(config)#tftp-server flash:running-config-R2

Now, on R1, copy the file to the flash of R1:

R1#copy tftp: flash:running-config-R2

You will be prompted to erase the flash, answer with N...

Can you try and see if this works for you ?

Regards,

GP

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card